Airport hell

On Friday, my vacation was about to begin. I packed up the midget, packed up our clothes, and got ready to take a flight to Edmonton.

Unfortunately, the weather did not cooperate… but more about that for a minute.

First, I’d like to take a minute to rant about Air Canada. We arrived at the airport an hour and a bit before the flight was to leave. Well within the guidlines Air Canada suggests for getting on the plane in good time.

So we stood in line. To check in to our flight we had to use a checkout counter in section C.

Section C was busy. Very busy. And getting busier by the minute.

But there was usually only one person working there. Every now and then a second person would appear to check in one or two people, then they mysteriously disappeared again.

Section A and Section B were not busy. They were staffed with four or five people each. There were more Air Canada staff than people checking in.

It made me wish longingly for the efficient service of Westjet.

Ah well, live and learn.

In any case, it took an hour to check in, then we raced through security and ran through the airport to find out gate, only to discover that the flight was delayed. Not that this had been indicated on the TV screens near the checkout, or anywhere else, but it had been delayed for about 40 minutes.

So, the midget and I coloured, and played games, and ate pizza until the new flight time… only to discover that the flight was cancelled.

So we had our names transferred to the standby list for the next flight… and when there were only five seats and 140 standbys, we decided the chances of getting two side-by-side seats were next to none, so we called home, and asked Ian to see what he could rig up for us.

We played, and coloured, and moped around a while longer.

Once we determined for certain we weren’t going to be able to get on the next flight, we went to the flight after that… and the gate after that, and followed the crowd during all the gate changes.

Ian managed to get us a booking on a 10:05 pm flight, but we decided to float around for an earlier standby seat anyways, and we got on a plane, finally, at around 8 o’clock. The original flight was at 2:00 pm

It was a long haul for an amazing 3 year old, but he stayed awake and happy during the whole airport stay, and only fell asleep after an hour in the plane.

Now I’m officially on vacation, and we’re enjoying the nice Edmonton weather.

And while I’m thankful the airline managed to get my luggage to Edmonton and had it waiting for me, I’m not so enamored with airplane trips any more.

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: