Today I had some fun with APIs. I have now got part of my Twitter application functional. However, since I haven’t actually figured out what I’m going to do with the data, and whether I’m going to store historical data or just display current info, I got stuck.
So, I moved on to the Amazon shopping API. I already use this API in a few places to display books by subject, and books by author.
In an experimental mood, I thought I’d try using some sorting magic on it, and found Isotope. Watching books sort and filter themselves was a lot of fun, though I don’t know if there’s a practical use for it on my site. For now, it’s in my ‘/experiments’ folder.
This was all pretty lightweight stuff, but I have been a little off my usual rhythm all day. It took me twice as long as usual to get through editing a dozen XML files, and I still haven’t gotten my invoices updated for the day.
The weekend starts tomorrow, so hopefully I can do some less work-focussed programming for day 3.
One of my goals for the new year is to do a bit more coding. I used to be pretty darned handy with Python, but lack of use has dulled my confidence and probably my abilities. I aim to get that back to help with a few projects I hope to accomplish this year.
I also have a pretty spiffy idea for a WordPress plugin floating in my head that I hope to work on as well. That’s all PHP, which I have been working with on a regular basis for a very long time, so there’s no learning or re-learning to do, just buckling down to get it done.
But for my first day of code, I’ve been fiddling with PHP and the Twitter API to build on some basic code I’ve been using to pull Twitter feeds in order to extract and some other information to help quantify social media effectiveness and reach.
Why I decided to start my 100 days on this particular day, when I’m so backlogged with regular work I will be burning the midnight oil just to get everything done, I will never know. But if I can get an hour of coding done today, I can get it done every day!